Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day Two


Day Two

I woke up today with the knowledge that this beautiful home is now my responsibility. Yikes! It feels like going from taking care of a cat to being in charge of an entire endangered feline species. I would be lying if I said I am not concerned. The plants outside my window eye me suspiciously, wondering if I am up to it.

I walked down to the beach this morning and sat and watched the waves come rolling in and out. Papahaku beach is three miles of beautiful sand and not a soul in site. It would be a great place to meditate. In fact I tried. I sat, towards the sea, cross legged with hands face up, my eyes closed and I emptied my mind of all thoughts… for one second. Then I started thinking about breakfast. Stopped myself, watched the waves, and contemplated the impermanence of all things before deciding to defrost some chicken for lunch. GRGH! This whole mediation this is difficult and not as much fun as food.

I gave up and went back to the house where I stared at the plants for a little bit and upon feeling overwhelmed treated myself to a nap. The plants glared at me as if to say "we knew you weren't up for it." "I'm tired" I thought back in my defense. They were not impressed.

Later I went to pick up my car from the wharf where it was arriving from Honolulu. Taxi driver "Harley" drove me there. He had just been married the Friday before. I asked him if it was his first marriage and he got really quiet and I silently cursed myself and my unbridled curiosity. He broke the awkwardness by showing me a framed photo of him and his wife. So precious! He keeps it face down in his front seat and handles it with such delicacy you would think it was the most valuable and fragile thing he owned. Shouldn’t we treat all marriages with such tenderness?

We arrived at the wharf and Harley gave me his card and told me to show it to anyone who gives me trouble. I immediately pictured myself in some sort of "trouble" and having to dig through the disaster that is my hand bag, looking through the gum wrappers, to do lists, and receipts, weeping in the face of my attackers because I can't find Harley's card. (I have since organized said handbag and know exactly where Harley's card is so attackers beware!)

Harley apparently knows everyone on the island which is about 7000 folks. I believe him because everyone we passed on the road waved and honked at him. "That's my cousin," he would say, "That's my other cousin, and my other cousin and my auntie…" and so on and so on. He and his wife had to have a secret wedding because if not then the whole island would have shown up. But boy did he get a scolding from his Aunties at Friendly Market who weren't invited. Not pretty, so I am told.

I retrieved my car from the wharf and was sadly disappointed. After driving that shiny red rental car my old Saturn looked like something pulled from the bottom of the sea.

When I got back to my little cottage (I have my own separate residence away from the Miller Molokai) I began unloading the jenga puzzle that was my belongings. I had hurriedly stuffed all that I own into my car upon learning that I could pack as much as I could get in there.

I love seeing my things in a new space! (Even if the new space is this broken down cottage with pepto bismal paint and eroded carpet and fungus like smell that reminds one of your grandmother's basement) I think I can make this place really beautiful. Just a little TLC is all it well take. Okay, maybe a lot of TLC.

At night, just before sunset, the storm came. I saw it out to sea, grey cloudy monster of a thing coming straight for me. At first I enjoyed the sound of the rain pounding down on the roof. Then I realized that the previous caretakers had informed me of leaks so I was then sent scurrying all about the house placing bowls and pans underneath every drip drip.

I felt very successful at handling my first rain storm. I walked by the plants a little taller in my step. They acted nonchalant but I could tell they were impressed. I sat on the bed for the rest of the night taking pictures of the beautiful glimmering drops splashing into the silver bowls, listening to the howling of the wind outside and the palm trees knocking on wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment